Why Omega-6 Fats Matter to Your Health

BottomLine: Why Do Omega-6 Fats Matter for Health and Disease Prevention?  Find out from pioneer scientist, Bill Lands, PhD. Video presentation, slides, and handout resources provided. (Note, all of this information is provided free for the sake of public health).

BackgroundLearn how most chronic diseases could be prevented by lowering omega-6 fats in the diet and why supplementing with fish oil and omega-3 fats is not enough.

Scientist, Bill Lands, PhD, cuts to the chase, and provides compelling reasons Americans need to re-think what constitutes a healthy diet. His engaging presentation was delivered at the
National Institute's of Health two-day conference on omega-3 fats on October 14, 2009.  What follows is a 37-minute video of his talk, slides, handouts and resource materials. Special thanks to Dr. Lands for graciously provided the slides used in his talk

Feel free to distribute this information to friends, colleagues
or via your blogs and websites (Permission is granted, but we'd appreciate a credit line.)

Video:   Due to the overwhelming response to this video, I had to change my source of video streaming.  It's still free, and you can also download the video or forward it to your friends and colleagues.  Here's what you do:
  • Just click on the screen or the url below.  You will be taken to iAmplify, where you can view or download the video for free.
Slides: Nutritional Armor Slides ppt

Handout: This 19-page Handout includes a glossary, pdf of slides, study abstracts and resources.

Links to Resources:
www.EvelynTribole.com

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• November 15, 2009 1:46 PM Evelyn Tribole MS RD wrote:
    I've been getting so many hits on this omega-6 video, that I've exceeded my bandwidth nine times! (Every time I exceed bandwidth, the cost increases $$).

Therefore, today I switched to a company that allows me to show this video without incurring charges. The only difference is that you won't be able to watch the video on my site.

The upside, however, is that you can download the video to your own blog, website or media player, including iTunes.
    1. December 4, 2009 6:39 AM David Brown wrote:
      Evelyn,

I've watched the lecture twice now. Thanks for making it available. I'm telling everybody I know about it.

But while knowing how tissue concentrations of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids is helpful, translating that knowledge into action on an industrial scale can be difficult and/or expensive. So what I propose is to feed livestock sprouted grains grown hydroponically. This would alter the essential fatty acid composition of the grain portion of animal feed at low cost to the producer and can be integrated into the current CFO system with minimal disruption of commerce.

In a similar vein, I've begun an inquiry aimed at agronomist researchers to determine if anyone has done animal feeding experiments with sprouted grains to manipulate the essential fatty acid composition of meat, dairy and poultry. I just started yesterday so have only one response thus far. The researcher said, "You ask interesting questions. I am not familiar with any work on the impact of sprouted grain on fatty acid profiles in meat. There has been some feeding work with sprouted grains in cattle proving the nutritional value to be essentially the same as non-sprouted grain for energy, protein etc. in steer diets. No meat analysis was conducted on that study.

We do know that rolled or crushed flax fed to animals, beef in our case, can
      more than double the omega 3 levels in meat while marginally affecting n-6,
      with a net result of improving the n-3:n-6 ratio from 0.09 to 0.21."

So thanks again for your excellent website.
      1. August 1, 2010 3:41 PM heather wrote:
        Im very interested in knowing if the sprouted grains effect the omega balence, i feed grain free milk cows and would like to supplement if i could. please let me know if you find out, thanks, Heather
  • July 28, 2010 12:32 PM Craig wrote:
    my I include the video, "why omega-6 fats matter" to my website? I look forward to a response
    1. July 28, 2010 2:38 PM Evelyn Tribole MSRD wrote:
      Yes, you may post the video to your website.
      Thanks for getting the information out there!
  • August 2, 2010 9:35 AM Hank Roberts wrote:
    > sprouted grain
    Are you saying some particular sprouted grain is known to be high in omega-3s?
    Or are you saying you think growing grain hydroponically changes the omega-3 in the sprouts? Doesn't make sense to me. If it did, we'd see advice from Dr. Lands to include sprouted grain in the human diet, and it would be a cheap easy fix for the problem.